Preserving the architectural integrity of buildings allow us to keep a physical record of an era. The Gardner School Building has worn many hats for the Valparaiso community since 1899, and now our team is redeveloping the site into a new boutique hotel.
The Gardner School Building was converted into a Boys & Girls Club facility in 1972. The Tonn and Blank team completed the new Valparaiso Club just in time for the 2022 school year.
Part of this project included demolition of houses on the property, as well as the 6,000 square foot gymnasium in the school building. In addition to the two parking lots, angled parking is proposed in front of the hotel, for a total of 74 spaces.
The old school is on the city’s inventory of historic structures, protected by the city’s Historic Preservation Commission. It was designed by Wing and Mahurin, a Fort Wayne architectural firm, and built by the firm Kirk and Foster and Charles Lembke and Co. Early photos of the building show a central tower and spire, according to the city’s inventory.